Thinking of buying or selling a house in December, but you’re not sure if it’s a good idea? While it seems that spring and summer are the best times of year to buy or sell a house, Christmas could be the most wonderful time of year to make your next move on the property ladder! Read on for our insights:
Buying a property at Christmas
Typically, there are fewer buyers looking for a home in November and December – all the more reason why winter could be the right time to get a deal on your next place! Here’s why:
- According to Rightmove’s House Price Index for November 2018, there is a seasonal fall in house prices as the price of property coming to market has fallen by 1.7% – considered “an early Christmas gift” for many house hunters
- There could be more potential to negotiate the price on the property if it has been on the market for some time this year
- Plus, put simply, fewer buyers means less competition when making an offer!
So, if now’s the right time to begin your property search, start by browsing our properties for sale in Essex.
Selling a property at Christmas
Although spring and summer are considered the most popular times for houses to go on the market, selling your house in winter can also work in your favour. Here’s why:
- With less competition in the housing market, expect to receive more interest in your property
- Not only this but with fewer properties on the market, buyers at this time of year tend to be more determined to find their next place to live – and quickly!
- Some house hunters will have more flexibility around Christmas due to work schedules and other commitments winding down this time of year, which is great for arranging property viewings
- People will likely spend more time online during the holiday season, which means more time to look for their next house! In previous years, Rightmove has recorded particularly high numbers of traffic on their website over Christmas and Boxing Day
If you’re thinking about putting your pad on the market this winter, make sure it’s ready for viewings. The festive period can be manic for many households, with Christmas decorations and presents seemingly taking over your entire home. So, help your potential buyer feel at home in your home by keeping clutter to a minimum during viewings, even at this time of year.
Ready to get moving? We can help! Call us on 01702 343060 or contact us here to arrange a free, no obligation valuation with our team. No matter what time of year suits you best, our Residential team are here to help you sell your home.